The Barnabas Connection depends on volunteers for many aspects of its work in the community to help people in need. An informational meeting to recruit volunteers for various projects is being offered February 22, 2017, at 2 p.m. at the Barnabas Connection flood recovery office, located in the Brookshire Brother’s strip center at 14100 RR 12, Suite 600.
A wide range of volunteer opportunities with varying levels of time commitment:
- Phone helpline – answering calls from people who need rental, utility or other assistance.
- Best BUDS – serve as a weekly mentor for a local elementary school student during the school day.
- Special Event Volunteers – helping at Barnabas-sponsored events such as the Senior Expo and Back to School Fiesta.
- Serving on Barnabas committees – helping with future planning, fundraising and organizational development.
- Coordinating volunteers – for special events such as the annual Back-to-School Fiesta that provides backpacks, school supplies and other needs for local students from low-income families.
- Office support – helping around the office, data entry, Quickbooks.
- Board Member – setting the direction for ongoing work in the community.
The Barnabas Connection is a local social service non-profit that was awarded “Non-Profit of the Year” for 2015 and 2014 by the Wimberley Chamber of Commerce. Barnabas provided case management and financial assistance to help with rebuilding and recovery after the 2015 flood events and is still working to meet the needs of flood survivors.